2014 was marked by reinvestment on Prevention in Reunion Island. The latter having stalled while gestational exposure situations and children identified as FAS were increasing. It must be said that the support offered by our guardianship does not seem to meet the needs of professionals and the public concerned.
2014 saw our involvement in Primary Prevention
- April, month of youth awareness on harmful effects of alcohol (US initiative)
- October, month of awareness of alcohol consumption (UK initiative)
- September 9, International Day for prevention of FASD (finally recognized by ARS)
On this occasion, we proposed :
- Public conference on the need for continued prevention (with the IFSI)
- Village of health associations in the ZAC Avenir in Saint – Louis (with the SPS)
- Solidarity Concert offered by many artists including Ziskakan
- Awareness in Southern supermarkets on the readability of the pictogram
- Distribution of a poster and leaflets to midwives
This allowed extensive media coverage with 4 days of publication in the major newspapers of the island, also on TV and local radio. This has especially helped to revive the debate on the lack of support. A step back of 15 years !
All this is relayed through our website, which get close to actors of prevention through a monthly newsletter with news on FAS, latest publications, preventive actions in our region and meeting with partners like the association Vivre avec le SAF.
2014 saw the resumption of training conducted by field professionals with health professionals.
The Secondary Prevention has to be maintened. The support for women struggling with their alcohol consumption should be specific and continuous. We keep the link with these women in informal discussions, as was suggested at the parents party in June.
Finally, we continued our cooperation in the Indian Ocean islands. With this year 2014, a strong mobilization of FASD prevention in Mauritius and Etoile D’espérance implication.
Thank you for your involvement with us and hope to see you to pursue these prevention efforts in 2015.
SAF Océan Indien team send you its Best wishes
Happy New Year 2015